Tuesday 23 December 2008

2- Cheesecake

Cheesecakes always bring interest to my life. The prospect of cheese in a cake sounds horrible, it strays away from the conventions of most cakes:

Most cakes have sponge
Most cakes have chocolate in one form or another.

Now, to add to my theorum, lets look at the conventions of tarts:

Most tarts have a pastry or biscuit like base
Most tarts have a 'semi-solid' filling





So, why are cheesecakes called cheesecakes? Why not Cheese Tarts? and, in accordance to my taste buds... why dont cheesecakes/tarts/whatever taste like cheese?

3 comments:

  1. Hmm, as you're from Derbyshire, you may wish to ponder upon why a Bakewell tart is also called a Bakewell pudding, when it is most manifestly not a pudding, but a pastry.

    Keep up the thinking! Derbyshire needs more thinkers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madame DeFarge: I just know Bakewell tarts from the Mr. Kiplings Bakewell tart box :P. And I like to call dessert time 'pudding', for some reason. I hope that justifys my cause. :)

    Thanks for viewing my blog.!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheesecake used to be my favorite food. Only recently, I noticed that most cheesecakes being sold everywhere are not very good. It is a shame.

    Michael.

    ReplyDelete